Monday, November 26, 2007

Poem, "Unfulfilled," from the book "Sins of a Poet" Coming in 2008

The emptiness in my eyes
Is the way that I feel when I
Walk into a room and
No one notices I’m there.

I sit at a desk in a
Nowhere job and wonder
Every passing minute why
I am even there.
And yet I come home to you
And feel as if your
Arms don’t welcome me
At the end of a long hard day.

It’s in the fire, baby,
The way that I cry,
When I feel so denied.
Of the love and affection
I need from you to keep going,
So unfulfilled.
So unthrilled.
Cause you don’t impress
Yourself with the things
Going on with me
Even when I stop to breathe.
It’s like you’re in your
Own world,
And can’t be disturbed,
So I’m left all alone
To face what I’m going through.

The roughness in my hands,
Tell the story of hard work
With back breaking pain
When I move to provide
For everyone inside.
The food on the table
And the roof over our heads,
Evidence of my fruits and labor
While I’m unappreciated.
Yet, I survive with everyday
That passes by,
That’s how I live,
Fighting to keep my head up.
To be strong and not give in
To the anger that rises,
That which I fight to keep
Down inside,
So that no one notices
Even when I cry.

It’s in the fire, baby,
The way that I cry
When I feel so denied.
It’s the emptiness I can’t
Pretend that does not exist,
When you turn away to
Do your own thing
That doesn’t involve me.
So unfulfilled.
So unthrilled.
Cause you don’t impress
Yourself with my
Smile that’s faded away,
And you don’t even
Wipe away the tears.
Just keep on walking.
And I keep on talking.
Yet, you don’t hear the words
I speak with fire behind them.

Never mind that I’m
Not happy.
It’s ok that I am unfulfilled
In this life I once loved
And once enjoyed.
Never mind that I walk
In circles, looking for
That one magical moment
Where I can set aside
These feelings and move on
To happier times I know exist.
Will you miss the food
I put on the table?
Will you shelter yourself
From the storms if I
Took away the roof
That’s over your head?

I said,
It’s in the fire, baby,
The way that I cry
When I feel so denied.
So unfulfilled.
So unthrilled.
Something I just can’t hide.
In the middle of the night
When sleep is not an option.
Into the light I will travel,
To find what it is I’m missing.
Will you be at the other end
Of the road to greet me?
To be what it is I’m missing
Or will I find something else
That will rescue me from
A burdened heart?

I’ve become a no nonsense woman.
No time for playing games.
No time for pretentious woes.
I need to be fulfilled

In the fire that I breathe.

2007 - Not to be copied, distributed, or used for any purpose.

1 comment:

Rene said...

This is probably one of the best poems I've written...